The Development Research Center of the State Council (DRC) is a policy research and consulting institution directly under the State Council, the central government of the People's Republic of China. Its major function is to conduct advanced research on the overall, comprehensive, strategic and long-term issues in the economic and social development, as well as relevant key and hot problems related to reform and opening up and provide policy options and consulting advice to the CPC Central Committee and the State Council.
Since its establishment at the initial period of reform and opening up and focusing on the work of the CPC Central committee and the State Council at different stages, DRC has made in-depth studies and researches on national development, provided a good number of high quality policy recommendations and done its bit for China’s economic and social development.
The Development Research Center of the State Council (DRC) is a comprehensive policy research and consulting institution directly under the State Council, the central government of the People's Republic of China. Its major functions include:
1. Conduct follow-up and advanced study on overall, comprehensive, strategic and long-term issues in national economic and social development and provide policy recommendations and advice to the CPC Central Committee and the State Council; provide decision-making proposals for mid- and long-term development plans and regional development policies; participate in and sponsor the study and demonstration of development programs by relevant departments and localities and offer its advice and proposals;
2. Study trends in the development of the national economy and analyze the macro-economic situation so as to provide advice and proposals for the overall application of macro-economic policies;
3. Study industrial economic development and industrial policies; offer advice and proposals on adjusting the industrial structure, investment structure, enterprise organization structure and ownership structure; offer advice on policies for technology selection and innovation as well as the development of new and high technologies;
4. Study issues in agriculture and rural economic structure adjustment, rural economic system change, rural economy and social management as well as coordinated development of urban-rural areas;
5. Study the new situation and new issues in China's opening-up, as well as foreign trade and foreign investment utilization policies, and provide policy recommendations; conduct research on trends in world economic development, as well as on relevant experiences and lessons, so as to provide reference for China's reform and development;
6. Study policies for human resources development, income distribution and social security in national economic and social development, as well as policies for rational development and utilization of natural resources, ecological balance and environmental protection;
7. Make assessment on major economic and social policy initiatives and effects under the instruction of CPC Central Committee and the State Council; interpret major national policies and experience relating to economic and social development;
8. Undertake drafting of relevant documents and articles entrusted by leading members of CPC Central Committee and the State Council
9. Conduct international collaborative research and exchanges with relevant international organizations and research institutions and provide information and foreign-related policy recommendations to the CPC Central Committee and the State Council;
10. Undertake other missions entrusted by the State Council.